Deuteronomy 28:8—“The Lord shall command the blessing upon thee in thy storehouses, and in all that thou settest thine hand unto; and he shall bless thee in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.”
In the scripture via Moses, God promised Israel blessings on obedience, which means the Israelites were overtaken by blessings. An obedient Israelite would be blessed everywhere: in the city or the country, when they came in or went out, in their home (offspring of your body), their farm (increase of your herds, produce of your ground) or their kitchen (blessed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl); even in warfare the Lord would scatter their enemies in defeat. The best part of the blessing was Israel’s relationship with God – God would separate the obedient Israel to Himself, which means all material blessings would follow in this relationship. God’s purpose to bless Israel was greater than enriching the nation for its sake; He intended to glorify Himself through blessing them. When Israel walked after the Lord, these blessings were real. The scripture goes on to mention the curses that would follow the disobedient Israelite.
(And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise—Galatians 3:29) Being an adopted child of God through your faith, let’s take a look at your promised blessings –
You will be:
– Set high above all nations
– Overtaken by blessings when you follow God’s voice
– Blessed wherever you are: in the city and country; in the home, farm, and kitchen;
– Blessed all the time: when you go out or come in
– A winner over your enemies who will flee seven ways in defeat
– Blessed in your storehouses, in your work, in the land where God places you
– Established as a people set apart to God.
Then, all the earth will see the glory of your God through your life:
– of great prosperity in your offsprings, your livestock, and produce of your ground, in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers
– from God’s good treasure house, the heavens
– from the seasonal rain to your land to bless all the work of your hand
– where you lend to many nations, but not borrow
– when the Lord will make you the head (leader) and not the tail (follower); you will be only above and not beneath.
The key to all your blessings will be to obey the commands of God, then God will make you His holy people. Other nations will see that you are special to Him. You will be a witness to the name of the Lord God when you show His love and power. Then, because of your Almighty God the nations will respect you and be afraid of you.