Psalm 37:23 – “The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.”
David in this psalm brings out the contrast of the lives of the wicked vs. the lives of the good man, who tries to obey the Word, along with God’s promises to both. We get consequences for our actions whether we realize this or not – likewise, the promises of God are just. The Bible says the wicked will: fade like grass, wither like herbs, be laughed at by God because God see their day coming, have their sword enter their heart and their bows broken, have their arms broken, perish, vanish like smoke, be destroyed, those cursed by him shall be cut off. There are also two references to “will be no more” and five references of “shall be cut off” for them and their children.
So let’s also see what God has in store for the good man.
First of all, who is a good man? Those who:
- Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and be faithful
- Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him
- Do not fret over the one who prospers in his way because it tends only to evil
- Refrain from anger and forsake wrath
- Are generous and give
- Have mouths that utter wisdom and tongues that speak justice
- Have the law of God is in his heart and whose steps do not slip
- Mark the blameless and behold the upright, because there is a future for the man of peace.
These are God’s promises for the good man:
- When you delight yourself in the Lord, He will give you the desires of your heart.
- Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act.
- God will bring your righteousness as the light,and your justice as the noonday.
- If you wait for the Lord, you shall inherit the land.
- As a meek person, you shall inherit the land and delight in abundant peace.
- You may be righteous and have a little, but it is better than being wicked and having an abundance.
- The Lord will uphold you.
- The Lord knows your days and your legacy will remain forever.
- You will not be put to shame in evil times and in the days of famine, you will have abundance.
- As blessed by the Lord, you shall inherit the land.
- Your steps are established by the Lord, when He delights in your way; even if you fall, you will not be cast headlong.
- You (and your children) will never be forsaken or begging for bread. In fact, you (and your children) will generously lend and become a blessing to others with your blessings.
- You will turn away from evil and do good and thus have eternal life.
- God will not forsake you because He loves justice. He will look after you forever.
- Counted as righteous through Christ, you shall inherit the land and live in it forever.
- The Lord will not abandon you to the wicked man’s poweror allow you to be condemned when brought to trial.
- When you wait for the Lord and keep His ways, God will exalt you to inherit the land and you will look on when the wicked are brought to justice.
- You will get your salvation from the Lord.
- God will be your stronghold in times of trouble, He will help and deliver you from the wicked and He will save you because you take your refuge in Him.
“The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand.” Established means “set up on a firm and permanent basis; to achieve permanent acceptance or recognition for”. The Bible says God is in control over our every step when we are in His will, so nothing can come in the way, stall, stop, or cause it not to happen! Even if you fall, you will not be cast headlong, because the Lord will hold you up with His hand! Our God is faithful indeed! Are we faithful to Him?