Philippians 4:19 – “And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”
This is one verse in the Bible that we all cling to when we desperately need something from God. Let’s take a deeper look at the context of the verse today and understand what Paul meant when he wrote this sentence in a letter to the Philippians. Here are a few things we know for sure:
• Paul wrote this letter when he was imprisoned (Philippians 1:7, 13)
• He had learnt to be content in all circumstances (Philippians 4:12-13)
• The Philippians were supporting Paul and taking care of his needs (Philippians 4:14-16)
• Their gifts to him were a sacrifice, acceptable and pleasing to God. (Philippians 4:18)
• Paul now assures the Philippians that God will supply every need they have. (Philippians 4:19)
Only when we look at the context of today’s verse and understand the backstory, can we truly grasp the truth behind it.
Paul trusted the Lord for His provision and God made sure he had what he needed. So much that Paul could be content and rejoice even in a dingy prison. Can you trust the Lord in your desperate situation and believe He will come through for you?
The Philippians served the Lord by taking care of Paul’s physical needs. They were in turn blessed with the assurance that God would take care of all their needs. Not according to an earthly measure but according to God’s riches! When you give your best to the Lord, you can be certain that the Lord will supply every single thing you need – be it wisdom, strength, grace or material blessings.
Trust God for your need and you will never be in want.